Lemon is commonly used in cooking and baking because of its juice which has about 5% to 6% citric acid, making its taste sour yet it’s the key ingredient for juices and pies. But aside from culinary, lemons are also use in cleaning products and for brightening.
Moreover, there are various uses of lemons you barely know. Here are 12 of the most unexpected and useful purposes of lemons you might want to know:
1. Soothe and calm bug bites: Use a lemon wedge or juice a lemon into a spray bottle and spritz it on. The antibacterial qualities will get to work immediately.
2. Microwave cleaner: Submerge lemon slices in a bowl of water, microwave for 10 minutes, let sit for 10 minutes, then wipe the loosed bits with a cloth, and you are golden!
3. Food preservative: For sliced fruits and vegetable, either spritz the juice on or soak in a water bowl to prevent browning (also, you can perk up droopy lettuce by soaking it for an hour in a bowl of cold water and lemon juice).
4. Remove rust spots: Wipe down or soak knives with rust spots on them with lemon juice. They should be off in no time!
5. Skin care: Harness all the citric acid and vitamin C lemons have to offer by making a homemade facial scrub, rid yourself of blackheads and clogged pores, brighten fingernails, remove dark spots, and so much more!
6. Remove stains from fabric: Just mix lemon juice and cream of tartar into a paste, rub it onto the affected area and after 30 minutes wash as usual.
7. Hair lightening: Just comb lemon juice into your hair and sit in the sun for 20 minutes, it’ll do all the work.
8. Everyday deodorant: Just rub a lemon wedge on the area and wipe off excess pulp, simple as that! The citric acid kills odor causing bacteria so you can go about your day!
9. Rid yourself of smelly kitchen hands from food prep: Just rinse with lemon juice!
10. Dandruff treatment: Boil the rinds of 3-4 lemons in 4-5 cups of water, once cooled, massage it into your hair, leave on for 10 minutes, and wash as usual. Do this at least once a week.
11. Natural air freshener: Place 3 halved lemons in a pot of water so they’re fully submerged, add one teaspoon of vanilla extract and boil until all the water is gone
12. Shower cleaner: Literally all you need is a lemon half, rub it on fixtures with water spots and watch it go to work