Ever wonder why dogs are called ‘man’s best friend’? Well, certainly because they’re great stimuli to brighten our day, they love us more than anything and they’ll do everything to make us safe. But reasons can be more than you’re expected.
There are certain facts about our pooch that we don’t know yet and might make us love them more than we do now. Here are 22 of the most awesome facts about dogs that could brighten your day.
1. Your scent can help curb your dog’s separation anxiety.
2. Petting a pup can lower your blood pressure.
3. Dogs prefer to poop in alignment with Earth’s magnetic field.
4. Dogs curl up into these adorable “dogdonuts” to keep cozy and create security.
5. Dalmatian puppies are born white.
6. A dog’s nose is wet for a specific reason.
Dr. King explains that whenever dogs smell something intriguing, “their noses secrete a thin layer of mucous that helps to absorb the scent chemicals.” Then, the dogs lick their noses for a tasty sample.
7. There is a breed of dog who doesn’t bark, but yodels instead.
The yodeller is known as a Basenji. Basenjis look like this:
8. Your dog really does love you.
9. If a male has a dog with him, he is three times more likely to attract a mate.
10. Dogs can get jealous, too.
11. Dogs’ sense of smell is 10,000 times stronger than humans’.
12. Dogs can be trained to detect changes in the human body that signal illness or distress.
13. They can even smell when their human’s insulin levels drop.
14. Dogs spin around before lying down because they are building a nest.
15. Dogs have at least 18 muscles in each ear.
16. Dogs are smart. They are “on par” with a two-year-old human’s intelligence level.
17. Some dogs are smarter than the average, though. Chaser the Border Collie can recognize 1,022 words.
18. Your dog’s feet really do smell like corn chips.
19. Dogs are very resourceful.
20. Seeing Eye Dogs have been trained to pee and poop on command.
21. Dogs are always willing to help their friends.
Lily the Great Dane lost both of her eyes due to an incurable condition. She gained a great friend and guide in Maddison, though. Take a look for yourself:
22. The myth has been debunked: dogs actually lap water like cats.